INNOVATION’s newspapers have won this “European Newspaper of the Year” Award for five consecutive years!
A few minutes ago and from Germany came the great news: Diario de Noticias of Madeira (Portugal) is one of the “European Newspaper of the Year” in the “local newspapers” category.
The main w9nners are:
European Newspaper of the Year, category local newspaper: Diário de Notícias da Madeira, Portugal
European Newspaper of the Year, category regional newspaper: Bergens Tidende, Norway
European Newspaper of the Year, category nationwide newspaper: Politiken, Kopenhagen, Denmark
European Newspaper of the Year, category weekly newspaper: Sunday Herald, Glasgow, Scotland
Judges’ Special Recognition: Gaelscéal, Galway, Ireland.
The judges were:
- Xymena Weiß-Gendera, Editorial-Design, Düsseldorf, Germany
- Prof. Joachim Blum, Media Consultant, Germany
- Annette Milz, Editor-in-Chief, “Medium Magazin”, Germany
- Theo Dersjant, Director Fontys School of Journalism, The Netherlands
- Haika Hinze, Art-Director, “Die Zeit”, Germany
- Gerhard Treffkorn, Art-Director, “Kleine Zeitung”, Graz, Austria
- Georg Taitl, Editor-in-Chief “Der Österreichische Journalist”, Austria
- Martin Huisman, Art-Director, “De Morgen”, Belgium
- Sylvia Egli von Matt, Direktorin Schweizer Journalistenschule MAZ, Switzerland
- Anna Sundqvist, “Östersunds Posten”, Sweden
- Fergus Kelly, Media Consultant, Ireland
- Walter Jensen, “Bergens Tidende”, Norway
The European judges said:
“The Diario de Notícias“ gets it’s special charm through very diverse designed front
pages and the section double pages:
- The front pages are designed every day in a new way. Uniformity is not manifested,
but rather new ideas through which contents are represented visually.
- The first page of each section always opens with a double page, which creates a clear
guidance for the reader. Page two and three introduce the local pages that often cover the hot topic of the day.
Conclusion: The “Diario de Notícias“ is between a newspaper and a magazine. This
makes it an exemplary local newspaper for Europe.
Since 2007, the prototype and templates done by INNOVATION’s Guillermo Negore have been implemented, developed and improved day by day.
And like the good wine, the newspaper as improved with the time, and hard work of this energetic and creative newsroom lead three years ago by Luis Calisto and now by Ricardo Oliveira, under the business management of Michael Blandy as president and José Bettencourt da Câmara as CEO.
Parabens para voces!
Thank you to all the INNOVATION team that made this fantastic redesign a big success: Eduardo Tessler, Project Manager, Guillermo Nagore, Carlos Soria, Decio Trujillo, Ricardo Chaves, Marta Botero .
And our thanks go also to Rodrigo Buldrini, the former design director of Diario de Noticias for his great help in the takeoff.
The Award will be presented to Diario de Noticias at the 2011 European Newspaper Congress in Vienna.
Tags: Diario de Noticias, European Newspaper of the Year, Funchal, Jose Camara, Madeira, Portugal, Ricardo Oliveira