Graham Greene’s Hotel Trianon in The Comedians is, in real life, the Hotel Oloffson.
This used to be an iconic hotel in Haiti, now is a very creepy one.
The readers of Tripadvisor rank its popularity as the 25 of 27 hotels in Port-au-Prince an recent reviews include comments like these ones: “Filthy, rickety, overpriced hotel, surly, unhelpful management, extortionate restaurant and bar: Avoid at all cost! This Hotel is a trash pit. The owner, The staff will accept payments of cash for bar and food purchases and then charge your room again, which leads to serious discrepancies at check-out time, But, voodoo motiffs and old world architecture do not make up for an infestation of bees, leaky roofs, TVs that do not work, cold water, and toiletes that need constant attention,”
But this filthy hotel has survived the recent earthquake and many journalists are there reporting like mad.
Richard Morse is the manager of the Oloffson and from his desk has been an unique witnes of the tragedy.
A Puerto Rican-born Haitian-American musician and hotel manager, he was one of the first twitters from Haiti telling live the story.
These short messages are like bits from Hell.
Here you can read some of them with no chronological order:
• I’m just tweeting.. trying to be of help.
• A priest came to see me..I asked him why so many churches collapsed..he left without an answer..God works in mysterious ways.
• Batteries keep us tweeting!!
• When my batteries die I will no longer be able to communicate..
• I know of someone buying gas today for 150 Haitian dollars which is about $18-$21 a gallon. Most people in Haiti don’t have cars…
• Another aftershock..a little longer..much screaming downtown..this is going to be a long night
• Port au Prince is dark except for a few fires
• All my guests slept in the driveway last night..people came up from the streets thinking they were bodies.. neighbors helping neighbors
• Keep praying.
• No interviews..Twitter!!
* Another aftershock!!!
• Bodies. Bodies. Bodies. Bodies. Bodies. Bodies. I don’t know how else to say it.
• Daniel Morel, professional photographer says he cannot believe what he saw today.
• The streets are now Haiti’s living room and bedroom.
• There are people who charge your phone with a car battery.
• You don’t have to drive to see the damage, where ever you walk there is something out of the ordinary..often the suffering is silent
• Need canned foods & 1st aid kits.
• People are praying in groups..others are looking for relatives..no phone service..no electricity
• Another aftershock..people are screaming and freaking out down towards the stadium..much singing and praying in large numbers
• People don’t talk about the bodies,they talk about the decomposing bodies.
• Bring it on guys,bring doctors AND morgues and medical help.
• 5:49AM the singing and praying has begun.we won’t begin to understand all that is going on around us for some time to come
• Thanks for the support..every little bit helps
• No interviews.. tweets only
• There are still aftershocks…
• Dear Russia..I’m just tweeting
• Singing..praying..clapping hands..the sun is stting..another night of darkness..death is all around
• I heard some roosters and some birds in the trees this afternoon..first time since yesterday
• If your home is destroyed and your workplace is destroyed and your neighborhood is destroyed..then what?
• The sight and smell of decay are unpleasant, but they do not create a public health hazard. Don’t touch. Cover.
• Where do you put bodies when the morgues are full?
• I predict massive emigration.. no homes, no jobs, no medical treatment. disaster
• The singing and praying is getting more intense..you have to believe!!
• Sorry..no interview
• Dear Australia,no interviews, just tweets.
Tags: Graham Greene
, Hotel Oloffson
, Richard Morse
, The Comedians